About Eden Lacy Lodge
Eden Lacy lodge is a spectacularly situated gatehouse belonging to Eden Lacy. Eden Lacy was originally a farmhouse built in 1834 by Samuel Lacy (and hence the name), the son of a certain Colonel Lacy, a wealthy landowner from over the river at Salkeld Hall. It was subsequently acquired at the turn of the last century by Robert Hudson Borwick,1st Lord Borwick.
The good Lord, having made a substantial amount of money manufacturing baking and custard powder obviously required a residence more suitable to his social status and enlarged and gentrified Eden Lacy, into what John Robinson, in his book ‘A Guide to the Country Houses of the North-West’ rather unfairly describes as ‘a long low, rather unassuming, “Tudorbethan” affair with projecting bays and mullion and transom windows’. Borwick of course thought otherwise and decided as a finishing touch that Eden Lacy was now substantial enough to warrant a gatehouse and in 1900 he built himself the Lodge as well.
As far as a house is concerned, the Lodge is not big and is essentially just a one bedroom bungalow but what it lacks in size it certainly makes up in charm and location; the views down the river valley and across to the fells are quite superb.
In 2008 the opportunity was taken to remodel and renovate the Lodge. It is now a comfortable little rental cottage, ideally suitable for couples who want to spend an undisturbed holiday in the heart of the pretty Eden Valley.